Before I turned this into a will power challenge, I started out with a resolution just like everyone else does on January first. I quit chewing tobacco. This short video shows a little bit about how hard that was:
Today I woke up 5 hours after I went to sleep. That was not fun. I had purposely made tee times with my parents at the golf course at 8:15am so that I would be sure to not sleep through my last really challenging goal of the month. I love it when I’m actually out of bed in the morning doing things, but it’s leaving the bed in the first place that is the most challenging thing in the world for some reason.
This is me when my alarm goes off every morning:
So I woke up and snagged a quick bite to eat, told my mirror that I was going to break 100 today, and wore a yellow shirt to the course because my dad usually wears a company logo shirt when he golfs, and he doesn’t have any yellow company logo shirts, so we aren’t going to look like twinsies.
We got done golfing around 12:30, and oh yeah, I shot a legit 99. I was happy. I got home and decided to jog.
I got an ankle support and it made a LOT of difference, I actually RAN a little. Not jogged. RAN.
Then the rains came. HARD. Proof that if there is a God, he does not want me running. Thankfully I was only about 1/2 a mile from my house and saw a my buddy Tim pull into his garage. He let me chill at his house until the hail and lightning had subsided, which was awful nice of him, until I remembered this picture that he sent me last week:
As you can see I was not thrilled with his picture. So now that I think about it, I probably should have made extra sure I was dripping rainwater all over his floors. After my run with the raindrops, I did my pushup workout. I blew through it today and capped it off by doing 28 in a row on the fifth set. I only did 35 in a row on my initial test, so things are improving slowly. That felt good. Then I let the dog out to do his peeps and poops. I noticed that the storm had brought down quite a few limbs in my neighbor’s yard (the house is vacant). I chose that as my RAOK for the day, grabbed a trailer from work, picked up all the branches, and took them to the brush pile the city lets people dump into. I forgot to take pictures of the trees in their yard, but I did take this one:
I think this is the first RAOK where the person that benefited had no idea anything had happened. Fine by me, I almost enjoy it better that way, because I don’t have to explain why I’m doing it or what my motive is. That explaining thing is getting really old. “No I don’t want anything in return”, “Just because”, “No, this isn’t a religious thing”, “No, I’m not selling anything” Those are the standard answers. I did have this really f*cked up thought though, like, I just really hope the dude that would have had to clear that brush out isn’t at home beating his kids or something, like
“Man, I wish I had more to do today, something physically demanding, that way I wouldn’t have the energy to strike my wife and children…oh well, GET OVER HERE, SUZIE!”
Random Acts of Kindness: Making bad situations worse since June, 2012.
After my Random Act of
Causing Child Abuse Kindness, my friends Cole and Steph (remember the badass wedding in the About section?) stopped by for nickel tour of my humble abode. Steph reminded me that the beard I currently have is as old as their marriage, and it might be the thing keeping them together. If I shave, what will happen to their blessed union? Will it be torn asunder by the sharp blade of a Gillette Pro Glide? Who knows. I shall tempt fate July 3rd.
I took off to go to dinner with my thunder buddy for life Tim and his wife Ambica. I’ve been really good for the most part this week. So I killed it at dinner. Monday-Saturday:
It was so delicious. I’m going to post tomorrow and then on Tuesday afternoon, then ATTEMPT to post Tuesday night after the drinks have been had…that should be fun.
- Keeping a blog of my shenanigans and updating it daily. Duh. (SUCCESS)
- Waking up every day before 8am. This includes Saturdays and Sundays (SUCCESS) Yeah, I’m surprised too.
- Go for a jog every day. (SUCCESS) RAN too!
- Do a “Green Blend” every day. (I’ve missed ONE) got more grapes. Yay.
- Do not cut my hair or shave for the month (this is one of my friends just being a dick). (SUCCESS) Growing it out for locksoflove.org!
- Use the term “ma lady” (including the hand gesture) once a day. (SUCCESS)
- No television! (SUCCESS)
- Nothing other than water to drink (INCLUDING no alcohol). (SUCCESS)
- Full abstinence including “self” pleasure. (SUCCESS)
- No logging onto Facebook. (SUCCESS)
- Complete one project around the house every week. (4 of 4 SUCCESS) DONE!
- Volunteer two times somewhere. (3 of 2 SUCCESS)
- Read one book every week. (4 of 4 SUCCESS) DONE!
- Say something positive into the mirror about myself every morning. (SUCCESS)
- Do one random act of kindness a every day. (SUCCESS)
- Do one workout besides the morning jog every day (SUCCESS)
- No biting the fingernails. (SUCCESS)
- Make every meal that I eat, with one “cheat” meal per week. (SUCCESS)
- Text msg 5 people every day and share a compliment/oddity/or fun fact. (SUCCESS)
- Be on time to work everyday (SUCCESS) It’s gotta be a damn record.
- Weight lift everyday except Sundays (SUCCESS) also acceptable is a pushup routine.
- Bike to work and back everyday that I go to work (SUCCESS) Meh…biking there and back. Maybe not to and from.
- LOW CARB DIET UNTIL IT’S OVER (SUCCESS)
- Wake up before 7 instead of 8 everyday. (SUCCESS)